We discover the cultural heritage of our country and think about how to create a modern object that comes from our culture.
15-18 years old
WOW priority topics covered:
- Communication skills
Expected learning outcomes
The participant will be able to define a cultural heritage.
The participant will be able to give examples about cultural heritage.
The participant will be able to give reasons for why a thing is selected as a cultural heritage.
The participant will be able to transform a tool.
The participant will be able to create a poster or present the generated idea.
The participant will be able to make assessments for the other groups.
The participant will be able to make a group discussion.
Place / Environment
Tools / Materials / Resources
Colorful pens, postite, scissors
Step by step description of the activity / content
The class begins with the “Talking Pen” activity. Three posters put on the wall. Every poster has different cultural and traditional pictures. (ex: Oya, Ebru pictures, caftan…)
Participants are divided into 3 groups:
The rules of the “Talking Pen” activity is told to the participants.
- In 1 minute, every group writes any word that comes to their mind while looking at the poster.
- For every participant it is asked that “What comes to their mind at first glance?” or “What reminds you while looking at these products? ”
- For a while no one talks to anyone.
- No one can erase what they have written.
- Only written words can be related with each other.
- The group which has more words wins.
After 1 minute, the words on the paper are read and the questions asked:
- What could be the common point of these words?
- What do they reflect? What do they define? (students are lead through questions to get the cultural heritage answer.)
- What can we do with them?
- Should I only keep them?
- What can we do about these products?(With this question, the aim is to get students to create ideas about cultural products)
After this discussion, Ayşegül’s story gets distributed. 10minutes given to the
readers to read and analyse. Then the questions are asked:
- What was Ayşegül doing in this story? (She presented a cultural heritage in a marketing area and turned that heritage into a modern thing to take attention)
- What can we do except crochet?
- What kind of other cultural heritages do we have and why are they called as cultural heritage?
- What are your most creative products? (Every group has their ownpictures from cultural heritage like Oya, ebru, caftan…)
- What would you do if you had a chance to harmonize a culturalheritage into this century?
Every group has to choose a product and should complete that product’s
poster. Then every group prepares their presentation. Topics that need to be
covered during a presentation:
- Do you know your product’s origin?
- Does it belong to a specific region?
- How would you modernize your product?
After the preparation of the posters, every group starts their presentations.
FeedbackDuring the presentations, trainer and the other group members evaluates the presentations and gives feedback about it.
Assessment & Evaluation
While preparing the presentation, every group should do the swot analyze of
their product. They talk about the strong and the weak sides, advantages and
disadvantages of the product. The trainer gives feedback about it.